What’s going around
Firstly I want to thank you for all of the feedback and love I’m getting from my articles. It’s much appreciated and I will continue to educate as well as bringing you all the latest UK boxing news. As the first week of 2018 comes to a close I wanted to bring you the highlights of what is going down on these shores.
· As you would of seen we broke the news earlier this week that Matchroom are in talks with Top Rank to schedule a fight between WBO Featherweight Champion Oscar Valdez and Bury native Scott Quigg for March 10that StubHub Centre, Carson City, California.
· It is looking increasingly likely that Manchester will be the venue for the fight for the vacant WBO Lightweight Championship between Terry Flanagan and Maurice Hooker. There is no news on the date, but mid-April is being sounded out.
· Former world title challenger Charlie Edwards has been added to the Matchroom ‘British Beef’ card on February 3rd. Edwards has been added in place of Ohara Davies and will return to the scene of his title defeat to Johnriel Casimero.
· Gamal Yafai and Gavin McDonnell will tangle on the Kell Brook undercard. McDonnell will look to get back winning ways following his defeat for the WBC Super bantam Weight Championship to Rey Vargas. Gamal, younger brother of World Champion Kal Yafai will look to put a frustrating injury hit 2017 behind him and make no doubt about it this is a really close fight.
· Rising star Josh Kelly has signed a new three year promotional deal with Matchroom.
By: Aaron Cooper
Aaron is the UK Correspondent for 3KingsBoxing.com. He can be reached at Aaron@3KingsBoxing.com