Jermell Charlo vs Tim Tszyu Looks To Be Next!
News is starting to heat up when it comes to a bout between undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo (35-1-1, 19 KOs) and WBO mandatory Tim Tszyu (21-0, 15 KOs) agreed in principle to a fight. 3KingsBoxing previously reported that the two have agreed to fight each other next. Here are the latest developments.
Word on the street is the contest is tentatively scheduled for January 28, 2023. Charlo is hinting on his social media that an announcement is impending, stating a date on his next fight is coming.
During an interview with the Australian news source new.com.au, Tszyu said that his handlers, No Limit Promotions, are ironing out the details and believe the fight will happen in Las Vegas. The 27-year-old is excited to fight Charlo, a fighter he’s targeted for quite some time. When asked about the undisputed champ, Tszyu had this to say.
“I want to go straight to the top and I want to challenge the very best there is out there. I know I’ve got what it takes to win.
“I want to stop him […] I want to stop this bloke. I want to cause him pain. To be great, you’ve got to prove them all wrong. That’s what it takes. Simple!”
In his last outing, Tszyu injured his hands but picked up a unanimous decision win over Terrell Guasha in March. He says his hands are good, and he will return to working the pads soon. The Aussie also disclosed that he and his team plan to move their base of operations to Las Vegas to prepare for the champ.
Charlo is coming off a tenth-round knockout over Brian Castano in May to become the first undisputed champ at junior middleweight since Winky Wright. Following that victory, the WBO ordered that Charlo must Tszyu.
Stay tuned to 3KingsBoxing for further updates.
Reading Time: 2 minutes
By: Michael Wilson Jr.