Top Rank Contradicts Tyson Fury on Deontay Wilder Rematch Date!

Top Rank Says February 22 is Only One Date in Consideration

Bob Arum and Tyson Fury
Bob Arum (left) and Tyson Fury (right).

Top Rank not ready to commit to February 22 date for Wilder vs Fury rematch!


On December 1, 2018 WBC heavyweight champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder and Tyson “The Gypsy King” went head to head in a memorable showdown. The bout ended in a draw that left most viewers with a sour taste in their mouths.

Directly following the dust-up, both fighters said they were going to run back an immediate rematch to clear the air.

However, soon after, Fury would throw a major curve ball. The new narrative saw Fury fleeing the rematch, signing with Top Rank and setting up shop on ESPN. This course of action threw the rematch into limbo.

Wilder would go on to obliterate his mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale, and Fury decimated an over-matched Tom Schwarz.

Getting Back On Track

To the relief of many, not only did The Gypsy King announce that he was going to go through with the rematch, he specified a February 22 fight date. The declaration appeared to clear up any nagging confusion about whether the fight was going to happen or not.

That is, until Fury’s own co-promotional company contradicted what their charge had stated.

According to Talksport.com, Top Rank is insisting there is no finalized contract and the February 22 date is only one of several being considered.

This most recent episode of confusion and contradiction is becoming a regularity for this rematch. Initially both men said they would fight, then Fury pulled out. Wilder would later say that he was set to rematch Luis Ortiz, then Fury.

However, Fury was quick to come out and say that there was no second fight finalized to face the WBC champion. Now that Fury is co-signing what Wilder previously said, his own promotional company is saying it’s not so. This is turning into one confusing, topsy-turvy affair!

While this news is a bit disheartening, at least it sounds like the fight is coming closer to actually being completed. Obviously Wilder and Fury want the rematch to happen, and each have declared that it would take place.

Let’s just hope that we can get an official fight announcement that is not later contradicted by one of the principle players!

Stay tuned to 3kingsboxing for all the latest boxing news and updates.

By: Bakari Simpson

Previous Article: Conlan: “Once I’m World Champion, I Might Give Nikitin Another Shot!”

Other Featured Articles: INTERVIEW: Deontay Wilder Speaks About His Rematch With Luis Ortiz

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

About Bakari Simpson 1879 Articles
Bakari is a writer and contributor for 3kingsboxing.com. Visit cheetahhead.com to view more of his literary work.