Lopez Sr.: “$20 Million For Teofimo Lopez vs Devin Haney!”

Is Lopez Sr. Pricing Lopez Out of a Fight with Devin Haney?

Teofimo Lopez Sr. tells Bill Haney he wants $20 million for Devin Haney vs Teofimo Lopez
Teofimo Lopez Sr. tells Bill Haney he wants $20 million for Devin Haney vs Teofimo Lopez

Teofimo Lopez Sr. Sets $20 Million Price Tag on Devin Haney vs Teofimo Lopez


Since they were both housed in the lightweight division, there has been tension between undisputed 135-pound champion Devin “The Dream” Haney (30-0, 15 KO’s) and Teofimo “The Takeover” Lopez (18-1, 13 KO’s). For years the two, along with their fathers and trainers, Bill Haney and Teofimo Lopez Sr., flirted with a potential clash that never came to be. However, should Haney vs Lopez happen now, Lopez Sr. is calling for a $20 million payout!

This was a true disappointment because not only were they top talents in the division, their duel would have crowned an undisputed champion. Back then, Lopez had all the belts minus Haney’s WBC strap, while The Takeover held the WBC Franchise trinket. Instead, Lopez would go on to suffer an upset loss to George Kambosos and exit the division without ever staging a rematch with Kambosos.

Haney then became undisputed when he twice went to Australia to defeat Kambosos in back-to-back boxing lessons. Now that he has set up shop at super lightweight, Lopez is on the eve of a major title fight versus WBO 140-pound champion Josh Taylor. If Lopez be victorious, Lopez Sr. has said repeatedly that he wants to duke it out with The Dream next. Yet, according to the elder Lopez, it will not be cheap.

HOW MUCH?!

Following the weigh-in for the Lopez vs Taylor grudge match, Lopez Sr. stormed an interview Bill Haney was conducting to call out his son. No stranger to confrontation, Haney was open to the aggression, but was surprised to hear the pricey stipulation attached when he asked if Haney versus Lopez was next.

“Fuck yeah, for $20 million, mothafucka!”

Teofimo Lopez Sr.

Understandably, Bill Haney was quick to retort.

“Don’t price yourself out like that, don’t listen to him! For the people listening, y’all heard it – it takes 20 million to get Devin in there. You heard what he said!”

Bill Haney

Without question, that is a staggering amount of money to be chasing for a lightweight match. What’s even more glaring is the fact that Team Lopez had already demanded an obscene amount of money. And now that price tag has doubled! Of course, first things come first, meaning The Takeover has to handle his business on June 10 before anything can happen. Yet, if Team Lopez sticks to their guns regarding the fight price tag, that may be one difficult hurdle to hop! Thankfully no matter what happens, 3Kings Boxing will be here to report the news.

Featured Article: What Opportunities Await David Benavidez After Failed Canelo Talks?

About Bakari S.2983 Articles
Bakari is a Senior Writer for 3kingsboxing.com. Visit cheetahhead.com to view more of his literary work.