Oscar De La Hoya On Canelo Fight: “I Changed My Mind, I Prefer Vitor”

De La Hoya backtracks on fighting Canelo

Oscar De La Hoya, unified super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez
Oscar De La Hoya (left), Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

De La Hoya backtracks on fighting Canelo


For many people, socking your current, or former, supervisor square in the face is a cherished dream. Well it looks like WBA super, WBO and IBF world super middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (56-1-2, 38 KO’s) just missed out on his. Currently, the redhead is somewhat of a free agent. Although, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing has unofficially been serving as his promoter. Prior to dealing with Hearn, Alvarez was managed by Golden Boy Promotion, which is helmed by Oscar “Golden Boy” De La Hoya (39-6, 30 KO’s).

Despite having been out of the ring for thirteen straight years, the Golden Boy is slated to fight on September 11. On that date, he will face the challenge of MMA star Vitor Belfort (1-0, 1 KO). Yet, in the build-up of the September event, De La Hoya told media members that he would love to face his former golden goose fighter in the ring. While the two maintained a friendly enough professional relationship, things went publicly sour after dissolution of their working situation.

NOT SO FAST!

More recently, however, De La Hoya has essentially recanted what he previously said about fighting Alvarez.

“I changed my mind, not because of anything or because he’ll knock me out, no. It’s just that I thought it over and I would actually rather do two of these with Vitor. If everything goes well and he doesn’t knock me out, maybe do another one by December and then Cinco de Mayo.”

It’s unknown why De La Hoya reneged on a potential fight with Canelo Alvarez. Perhaps he does think he’ll be concussed and simply wants no part of that. On the other hand, maybe the Golden Boy feels that an in-prime and peaking Alvarez is too much to bite off. Yet, it’s plain to see that De La Hoya is looking to compete in further matches after Belfort. Let’s hope that the Golden Boy is in decent shape and not simply marching toward a future hospital bed.

Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao has seemingly gotten old over night prior to his bout with Yordenis Ugas. As a result, he was easily out-boxed and roughed up over twelve rounds. There are a number of videos circulating showing him being fed by his wife because his eyes are swollen shut. A similar fate, or worse, could potentially be awaiting Oscar De La Hoya. Yet, no matter what the outcome, 3kingsboxing will be there to report the news!

By: Bakari Simpson

Featured Article: Romero On Haney: “I’d Rather Go After PPV Than A Fucking Pussy!”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

About Bakari Simpson 1787 Articles
Bakari is a writer and contributor for 3kingsboxing.com. Visit cheetahhead.com to view more of his literary work.