Bellew/Fury Could Happen After Haye Rematch
According to Tony Bellew’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, a fight between Bellew and former champion Tyson Fury will happen in 2018. Hearn revealed that he has spoken to both fighters about agreeing a deal. The two fighter’s have exchanged jabs at each other through social media the last few days since Bellew’s fight with David Haye was postponed.
Last week Fury said he would be willing to replace Haye although he is currently under suspension by the British Boxing Board of Control. Right now though Bellew’s priority remains rescheduling his rematch against Haye, who withdrew injured from their December 17 with a bicep injury that he has since had surgery for to repair.
“I believe you will see Bellew vs Fury in 2018 but it won’t be the next one,” Hearn said.
“Tony has had discussions with Fury. We have had discussions. I spoke to Fury about that fight.
“It’s quite a simple deal but it’s about timing of when the fight takes place.”
“People want to see Bellew vs Fury. But, what we cannot do because Tony hasn’t fought for nine months, is wait for Fury,” said Hearn.
“We can’t plan a fight with someone who has a UKAD hearing, and has to go in front of the British Boxing Board of Control.”
Hearn also offered to promote and help guide the Gypsy King’s comeback last week but that was prior to the announcement that Fury had signed with MTK.
By: Chris Henderson