Richard Commey Ruled out of unification bout against Vasiliy Lomachenko
Previously,3KingsBoxing reported the upcoming April 12 lightweight unification bout between unified champion Vasiily Lomachenko and newly crowned IBF champion Richard Commey could be in jeopardy due to what Commey feared was an injury to his right hand during his title win over Isa Chaniev. Commey was to undergo an MRI on February 7.
3KingsBoxing has now learned that during the MRI, it was discovered that he indeed suffered an injury to his right knuckle. As a result, according to the WBA, Commey has been ruled out of a unification bout against Lomachenko.
According to Commey’s promoter Lou DiBella, “he’s going to be out six weeks. He’s going to see another specialist next week.” DiBella also said he will meet with Top Rank next week in hopes of rescheduling.
According to Top Rank VP of Operations Carl Moretti, the chances of rescheduling the fight are “very good.”
With Commey out of the picture, Top Rank still has plans for Vasiliy Lomachenko fight on April 12. There is a strong possibility he could face #1 ranked WBA challenger Anthony Crolla. A purse bid for that bout is on schedule by the WBA for February 13.
Eddie Hearn, promoter of Crolla said today due to the WBA ruling, Lomachenko must fight Crolla.
Stay tuned to 3KingsBoxing for further updates.
By: Michael Wilson Jr.