Arum Says Fury v Wilder Trilogy Will Not Take Place On December 19
Fight fans have been in high anticipation and patiently waiting for the third fight between WBC World Heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) and former champ Deontay Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs). The expectation was that it would take place on December 19. However, during a conversation with ESPN, Top Rank boss Bob Arum said this is no longer the case.
As Arum explains, the reason for this is due to scheduling conflicts with ESPN, College football, and the NFL.
“We’re moving off because there are five conference championship games that day and night, plus two NFL games. So we can’t go with the nineteenth. We’re looking at other dates right now because ESPN advised us, and Fox advised the PBC [who promotes Wilder]. We’re looking at the schedule, PBC, Fox, ESPN, and us, to pick a date.”
IF NOT ON DECEMBER 19, THEN WHEN?
Arum said the fight could happen earlier in the month. December 12 is not open as Top Rank is promoting an event headlined by Miguel Berchelt defending the WBC Super Featherweight title against former WBO World Featherweight titlist Oscar Valdez.
In boxing, December is a popular month when it comes to Pay-Per-View shows. There is an open date on December 5 where Fury v Wilder III could take place. But as we approach October, both Arum and PBC would need to scramble behind the scenes at the negotiating table to adjust to what would be a two-week bump up.
Instead, it would be no surprise to see the fight pushed back to early 2021, possibly in February, which ironically enough would be the same month their rematch took place last year. Stay tuned to 3KingsBoxing for further updates.
By: Michael Wilson Jr.