Ryan Garcia Says He Will Soften Up Jo Jo Diaz, Then Eventually Take Him Out
Ryan Garcia’s (21-0, 18 KOs) next fight is expected to be against WBC “interim” world lightweight champ Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz (32-1-1, 15 KOs). He’s returning to the ring after going on hiatus earlier this year to deal with his mental health.
The 23-year-old was at a pre-fight event for the upcoming November 10 super middleweight unification between Canelo Alvarez and Caleb Plant. During an interview with TMZ Sports, Garcia says mentally he’s feeling a lot better and eager to get back into the ring. Claiming that the bout is close to being finalized, “King Ry” gave his thought on the fight.
“He’s going to get knocked out, he’s going to get caught with a shot sooner or later. He doesn’t really have that good defense, he has good punches, but not good defense.
So, I’m going to probably cut him up and then knock him out… I say about the fifth round, right now. You take a little bit to soften up the pinata, but then I’ll burst it.”
Diaz is the former IBF world junior lightweight champ. In his last bout, he stepped up to the lightweight division and impressively defeated Javier Fortuna to capture the “interim” WBC 135-pound title. Garcia and Diaz have exchanged plenty of vitriol towards each other on social media in recent weeks.
Garcia would be facing a fighter whose confidence is sky high. Diaz knows how to fight, and he’s tough. He will look to push and test Garcia physically and psychologically.
If, or when, the match happens, much of the spotlight will be on Garcia. Given the reasons behind his break from the sport, it will be interesting where he is, from a mental standpoint. Ranked second by the WBC at 135, is he the same explosive fighter that helped make him the darling of Golden Boy Promotions and one of the most talked-about young fighters in the sport? Diaz is the type of fighter who will unquestionably provide those answers.
By: Michael Wilson Jr.