Rematch is in serious jeopardy
The latest development in the Canelo Alvarez failed drug tests saga is that the Nevada State Athletic Commission will hold a meeting this Friday, March 30th, to discuss an extension of the temporary suspension they issued this past Friday. A hearing was set at the time for April 10th to determine Alvarez’s future and if the suspension will be extended but 3KingsBoxing.com was notified by email of this Friday’s meeting.
Alvarez is scheduled to face Gennady Golovkin in a rematch on May 5th in Las Vegas at the T-Mobile Arena. The first fight was September 16th of last year and ended in a controversial split draw.
At this time it is unclear if the rematch will take place due to the failed tests for Clenbuterol. 3KingsBoxing.com has been told by a source close to the situation that there is a very real possibility that the bout could be cancelled.
A few recent happenings have caused speculation in the media that a decision to cancel the event may already have been made but no announcement has come yet.
First was the fact that HBO, the network set to broadcast the event on Pay Per View, didn’t mention the fight at all this past Saturday during their coverage of the Dillian Whyte vs Lucas Browne fight from the UK. Second was that the bout has been removed from their upcoming events line-up. Third is that Fathom Events, the theater company that was carrying the bout in their venues across America, has removed the fight from all of their respective theaters and schedules.
3KingsBoxing.com reached out to both parties involved in these situations.
A spokesman for HBO told 3KingsBoxing.com that the fight was not mentioned and removed from the lineup because there is serious doubt whether this fight may happen right now and it’s protocol for them to take the steps they have when one fighter is under any type of suspension. No response was received from Fathom Events at the time this article was published.
We also reached out to both teams for further information and where both teams stand at the moment. Golden Boy President Eric Gomez told us:
“Right now it’s in the hands of the NSAC and we are comfortable that Bob Bennett and his people will see that Canelo is innocent. Canelo has given them everything they’ve asked of him and cooperated all the way. Bob is a former FBI agent and we have faith he will do what’s right.”
Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler:
“They issued the suspension because it’s procedure from the way I understood it. All we wanted was for them to take this serious and they are. Gennady wants to fight on May 5th, if it’s Canelo and the commission says he can fight then that’s who we’ll fight but if it’s not then Gennady still wants to fight.”
Both fighter’s have remained in camp and preparing for a fight to take place on May 5th. Whether it’s a fight between each other is a decision that’s yet to be made or at least yet to be announced.
By: Chris Henderson